Jackson County Places:  Cordele      

Places

CORDELE, TEXAS. Cordele is on Farm Road 530 in northeastern Jackson County. In 1897 the New York and Texas Land Company sold acreage along Sandy Creek, which was later renamed Brushy Creek, to settlers. Soon after, a Dr. Stapleton-who was the settlement's first postmaster-named the town after his hometown, Cordele, Georgia. By 1914 Cordele had become a shipping center with a post office, but by 1925 the community had only eight residents. The local population gradually increased and reached 176 in 1968. From 1972 through 1990 the number of residents at Cordele was reported as seventy-four.

History from the Handbook of Texas Online

Cordele, from Texas railroads, 1900
1936 Map of Cordell from General Highway Map of Jackson County, 1936 View map legend
Map of Cordele from mapquest.com
Map of Cordele, USGS Survey
Map showing Cordele Oil Field, USGS Survey

Postmasters of Cordele

Stapleton, Jesse W., 22 May 1897

Bruce, Wm. G., 20 Aug 1898
Batten, John W., 7 Oct 1899
Nagel, Albert H., 9 Mar 1905
Source:  Postmasters and Post Offices of Jackson County, 1846 - 1930

..

Return to the main page of the Jackson County TXGenWeb site

..

Texas Old Photos 

Texas Biographies

Texas Yearbooks

historictexas.net

familyoldphotos.com

Texas Cemeteries

Calhoun Co. TXGenWeb

Wharton Co. TXGenWeb

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Brown Co. TXGenWeb

Ector Co. TXGenWeb

Presidio Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb

cottonwoodtexas.com

old-yearbooks.com

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Jackson County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and HistoricTexas.net

.

Copyright 2005-2012 Teri A. Brown,  All rights reserved.