Jackson County Places:  LaSalle      

Places

LA SALLE, TEXAS. La Salle is on Farm Road 616 and the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway in southwestern Jackson County. In 1875 J. M. Bennett, with brothers Sol and Ike West, founded a ranch on a large spread purchased from John N. Keeran of Victoria and introduced blooded Hereford and Brahman cattle to the area. They shipped their animals from Inez, Victoria County, until 1909, when the Missouri Pacific Railroad passed through their property. The three associates named the station Benwest, after the surnames of the owners. In 1922 the name was changed to Bennview when the West brothers withdrew from the partnership. In 1924 local boosters surveyed a townsite, and Bennett promoted a land sale that attracted a number of Poles and Czechs. Bennview had a post office from 1928 until after 1930. In 1937 the citizens changed the name to La Salle (apparently after the Sieur de La Salle) and established a post office, a general store, and a rural school that enrolled five pupils. The population of the community grew from sixty in 1941 to 103 in 1971. Thereafter, however, a period of decline ensued, and by 1988 the number of inhabitants had dwindled to seventy-five. In 1990 the population was still seventy-five.

History from the Handbook of Texas Online

aka Benwest, Bennview
1936 Map of Bennview (LaSalle) from General Highway Map of Jackson County, 1936 View map legend
 

Map of LaSalle,  from mapquest.com
Map of La Salle from the USGS Survey
 

Postmasters

John J. Stepan began as postmaster of Bennview on 24 May 1928

Source:  Postmasters and Post Offices of Jackson County, 1846 - 1930
 

..

Return to the main page of the Jackson County TXGenWeb site

..

Texas Old Photos 

Texas Biographies

Texas Yearbooks

historictexas.net

familyoldphotos.com

Texas Cemeteries

Calhoun Co. TXGenWeb

Wharton Co. TXGenWeb

Val Verde Co. TXGenWeb

Brown Co. TXGenWeb

Ector Co. TXGenWeb

Presidio Co. TXGenWeb

Culberson Co. TXGenWeb

cottonwoodtexas.com

old-yearbooks.com

All photos, documents and graphics contained in the Jackson County TXGenWeb site are copyrighted by the submitter and by this site.  You may not use them elsewhere, whether in print or electronically, without written permission. Space provided by RootsWeb and HistoricTexas.net

.

Copyright 2005-2012 Teri A. Brown,  All rights reserved.