VANDERBILT, TEXAS. Vanderbilt
is on Farm Road 616 in southeastern Jackson County. In 1904 the
town grew up around the new railroad station on acreage of the
old Mitchell spread in the George Ewing league. A post office
was built in 1907 and continued to serve in 1988. Vanderbilt is
on the St. Louis, Brownsville and Mexico Railway, and has served
as a shipping and retail center for local farmers and ranchers.
In 1945 the community had a population of 300 and a business
section of ten stores. The population reached its zenith in 1962
at 900, then dropped by 1971 to 667, where it remained through
1990. In 1988 Vanderbilt had five businesses.
History from the Handbook of Texas Online